In this video i'm restoring a very old hand cranked grinder.
A few weeks ago I visited my friend and we took a closer look at his barn, looking for something interesting to restore. As soon as I saw this hand cranked grinder, I knew that this would make a nice restoration video. It was all covered in wood dust and the visble steel parts were very rusty. It was still working, but the grinding wheel was very unbalanced.
When I was cleaning the parts with the parts washer I found a lot of nails and screws in the gearbox, I guess I was very lucky that I didn't found any teeth from the gears. The pin connection from one gear was damaged very hard. I filled it all up with welding and machined all surfaces clean again.
I decided to make a brass sleeve for the wooden handle and glued it in with epoxy.
I only cleaned the grinding wheel with high pressure water and it worked very well. Due to the age of the grinder and the cleaning with the water, the two paper discs were lost. That's why I printed two new ones with my logo on it and they turned out very nice. They're there to lower the pressure on the grinding wheel from the clamping.
The cover plate from the gearbox didn't fit at all, it didn't even cover everything. Because of that I decided to make a new one.
For the painting I choose a black coat, as it was originally, I used filler on it to get a nice and smooth finish.
I'm very happy how this project turned out, I'll keep this item for myself for display.
I hope you like my work and the video.
Huge thank you to all of my Patreon and PayPal supporters and specially to:
# showing all the parts
#cleaning the parts with the parts washer
# removing the old paint with paint stripper
# restoring the holder
# restoring the gearbox case
# restoring all shafts and gears from the gearbox
# making a new pin connection
# restoring the crank
# restoring the wooden handle
# making a brass sleeve for the wooden handle
# making a steel cover for the wooden handle
# making a shaft for the wooden handle
# restoring the grinding wheel
# making a new wooden sleeve for the grinding wheel
# making a brass sleeve for the wooden sleeve
# restoring the clamping disc for the grinding wheel
# restoring the big shaft
# making a new cover for the gearbox
# restoring the joints for the big shaft
# sandblasting again
# bluing the steel parts
# applying two component filler and sand it
# applying two component primer
# wet sanding
# applying two component coat „jet black“ (RAL 9005)
# showing the restored bolts and nuts
# showing all the parts before reassembling
# showing the restored item
# final test
Time and costs of this restoration:
I was working on this project over 1,5 weeks
$20 hand cranked grinder
$20 2k primer
$20 2k coat „jet black (RAL 9005)
$5 wood for the sleeve
$5 grease inlets
$0.4 thick paper for the grinding wheel
If you have any questions about the process, machines i'm using or other stuff, just ask me in the comments. I read them all and i try to reply as soon as possible.
Sorry for my bad english, it's not my language. I try my best to improve my technical english.
Subscribe for more of my content. I'm uploading videos about mechanical stuff, as new creations and buildings and also restorations.
Thank you for watching :-)
My Patreon Page:
Follow me on Instagram: