Five bad stick shift driving habits.
T-Shirts & Cloting:
US - https://teespring.com/99vehicles-tailoring#pid=2&cid=568&sid=front
EU - https://teespring.com/new-europe-first-t-shirt#pid=389&cid=100026&sid=front
Main Camera - Panasonic DMC G7 - http://amzn.to/2vQ28li
Lens - Lumix 25mm ASPH f1.7 - https://amzn.to/2jjdEyr
Second Camera - GoPro 5 Session - https://amzn.to/2HFWPs4
Audio Recorder - Zoom H4n Pro - https://amzn.to/2Fvyfs0
Condenser Microphone - Audio Technica AT2020 - https://amzn.to/2rbTryZ
Headphones - Audio Technica M50x - https://amzn.to/2HJFfU6
Microphone Arm - Neewer - https://amzn.to/2HZRUFN
Music - EpidemicSound License - Some Kind of Magic 3
Some drivers who still own manual transmission vehicles do some simple mistakes which can damage the gearbox or the clutch pretty easily. So in this video I will tell you 5 things which you shouldn't be doing.
1. Rest your arm on the shift knob
It's not a great idea to rest your hand on the gear shifter. You basically add pressure to it, and over time, wear signs will appear. I know it's comfy, sometimes, when I don't realise, I also rest my hand on the gear shifter. Anyways, bad habit, so avoid it.
2. Shift slower when it's cold
When the engine is cold, the engine oil is also cold. The same thing applies for the transmission fluid within the manual transmission. I'm pretty sure you've seen for yourself that it's harder to shift, and sometimes, the gearbox makes a spur sound when you shift from 1st to 2nd gear when it's extremely cold outside and you just started the engine.
And guess what, it takes longer for the transmission fluid to warm up, as there is no combustion within it. It heats up just by friction. When the transmission fluid is at the optimum temperature, shifts are fast and smooth.
So, for around 15 minutes after you start the engine, don't be brutal, shift gears slower.
3. You don't have a synchroniser for the reverse gear, so you need to be completely stopped unless you don't want to experience a spur noise. You can actually damage the transmission by repeatedly doing this. For the sake of this video, I do it to show you. So the wheels should not move.
Also, if the car is stopped, and you're in neutral. After several seconds, if you try to put in reverse quickly, the same spur sound will come again. So, to avoid this, put it in first and then in neutral. In 1st gear, you have a synchroniser, so everything is smooth. This tip is available for any manual transmission, even if it's brand new.
4. Engine Start - the best way to start a car with a manual transmission is to press the clutch pedal and the brake and then start the engine. If you have a newer car, you won't be able to start the car if you don't press the clutch. That's because it's easier for the engine to start without having to spin the transmission in neutral, especially when it's extremely cold outside.
5. Do not keep the car steady up a hill through the clutch. Like I'm doing right now. It's one of the worst things you could do to damage the clutch disc or to wear it out prematurely. Simply pull the handbrake, and when you need to go, release it. Lots of drivers do this, and it's an extremely bad habit. Stop doing it.
If you want to see more videos about manual transmissions or how to launch a car with a manual transmission, you could watch my playlist on this topic.